Old Courthouse - Old Main, Shippensburg University - Children's Lake, Boiling Springs
Go To Search
County Assistant - Let Us Help
Cumberland County Offices
1 Courthouse Square Carlisle, PA 17013
Hours: M-F 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Ph: 717.240.6100
Toll Free: 1.888.697.0371
Follow Us Facebook TwitterRSS

What about divorce and custody
Can I get a public defender to represent
me in my divorce action or my custody case?
     No.  Divorce and custody cases are civil proceedings.  Public Defender services are only available for criminal court, contempt court, and juvenile court.  Legal Services, Inc., in the Minerva Mills Building at 401 E. Louther Street, Carlisle, PA, 17013, 243-9400 or 1-800-822-5288, provides representation in some civil cases for individuals who cannot retain an attorney.  Try this link:  Mid-Penn Legal Services  Then click on Staff/Locations.
     Additionally, the Cumberland County Bar Association operates a lawyer referral program.  Upon request you will be provided names of lawyers willing to receive referrals of cases like your own.  You will be entitled to a 1/2 hour office consultation for a fee of $25.00 after a referral from the program.  This is available in civil as well as criminal cases.  The Bar Association is located at 32 S. Bedford Street, Carlisle, PA, 17013, 249-3166.  Try this link:  Cumberland County Bar Association