The Accounting Staff mission is to account for all the fiscal affairs of the County and to provide financial reports in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
In order to meet our mission, we do the following on a frequent (monthly or daily) or annual schedule:
· Review and approve general ledger transactions to ensure the County's books are maintained in conformity with governmental accounting and financial reporting standards on a daily basis.
· Ensure all payments to vendors are in compliance the capitalization policy established by the Controller’s Office.
· Follow a monthly verification process of the key general ledger accounts to identify variances and ensure they are corrected in a timely fashion.
· Reconcile transactions made by the Treasurer’s Office to ensure the balances are in agreement with the financial accounting system.
· Inventory and track approximately 9,500 County owned assets.
· Account and reconcile the Cumberland County Pension’s assets and investments in conformity of governmental accounting standards.Annual Basis:
· Perform jointly with an independent public accounting firm in an annual audit of the County’s financial statements prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP audit).
· Prepare a Comprehensive Annual Financial Report which is materially free of material misstatement and in compliance with accounting principles generally accepted in the United States.
· Submit the annual receipt and expenditures which the Controller is required to file by April 1st after the close of the fiscal year. The report is filed with the Court of Common Pleas, with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and published in the local newspapers.
· Submit the Report of County Liquid Fuels Tax Fund to the Department of Transportation within 30 days of the end of the reporting year.
· Provide requested information and assistance to the Department of Auditor General for the complete audit of the Report of County Liquid Fuels Tax Fund.
These objectives have been metrically measured to ensure that they are being met efficiently and effectively manner.