Old Courthouse - Old Main, Shippensburg University - Children's Lake, Boiling Springs
Go To Search
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Q.  Where is the Prothonotary's Office located?
    A.  On the first floor of the New Courthouse to the left after you pass through

Q.  Do we have forms for all the filings?
    A.  No, there are not forms for everything.  Please see Printable Forms on our
         homepage Navigational list to the left to see what's available.

Q.  What do I need to bring to obtain a passport?
    A.  See Passports on our list to the left on our homepage.

Q.  How do I appeal a License Suspension or
      Registration Suspension?
    A.  We have 3 forms to complete for this appeal found on our
         Printable Forms on our list to the left. 

Q. What do I need to renew my notary?
    A.  When you receive your bond, visit the Recorder of Deeds Office
to file your bond.  When that is completed, you are to come to our
         office to record your signature.  Payment is made by cash or money
         order. (see Prothonotary Fees)

Q. How do I file for a Divorce or Annulment?
    A.  Annulments are treated the same as a Divorce. We do not recommend
         that you use forms that you take from the Web or purchase at a 
         book store because this paperwork may not apply to what is required in
         Cumberland County.  Consult legal counsel.  If you decide that you want
         to do the filing yourself, you must research the PA Rules of Civil
         Procedure to see what is satisfactory to this Court.  Note that the staff
         here in the Prothonotary's Office is not able to help you with this

Q. How do I obtain a certified copy of my Divorce Decree?
    A.  For a Certified copy of your divorce decree, you will need cash or money
         order for $16.50.  You can do this by personally coming in to our office
         or by mail.  If you choose to do this by mail, please include as much
         information as you can in your cover letter: docket number/
         plaintiff's name/defendant's name/phone number where you can be 
         reached, etc...  Include a SASE and a money order for $16.50.  Please
         make sure your request is legible. 
Q. How do I find an attorney for my case?
    A.  Contact the Cumberland County Bar Association at:

Q. Do I obtain a marriage license in your office?
    A.  No, you must contact the Register of Wills:          
         If you have been divorced, you must have a certified copy of your
         divorce decree, which can be obtained in this office, in order to
         proceed with your new marriage license. 

Q. How do I appeal a District Justice Judgment?
    A.  Defendants can appeal a DJ Judgment within 30 days from the date
         of the Judgment.  Writeable appeal forms can be found in Prothonotary
         Forms found on our list to the left.
         You will need to bring in a copy of your "Notice of Judgment/Transcript"
         form and a Civil Cover sheet found on the Prothonotary Forms found
         on our list to the left. Payment for transaction is made by cash or
         money order. (see Prothonotary Fees).

Q. How do I enter a District Justice Judgment?
    A.  After 30 days from the day of your Judgment, come to our office
         with the following: the original judgment twice signed by the District
         Justice and the DJ seal, a copy for the defendant, a SASE
         addressed to the defendant, and cash or money order in the 
         proper amount. (see Prothonotary Fees) However, within those
         30 days the defendant can file an appeal.  If this was done, you
         cannot file a Judgment.

Q. How do I change my child's last name?
    A.  If the biological father's name is not on the birth certificate and
         he is marrying the mother, and the child has not started school,
         you can complete the information on the back of the birth
         certificate and send it to the:
                      Office of Vital Statistics, Division of Vital Records
                      101 South Mercer Street        
                      P.O. Box 1528
                      New Castle, PA 16101        
         or for more information, click on:
                                PA Department of Health
         In all other circumstances, you must petition the Court.  

Q. What is the difference between a "Notice to Resume Prior
     Surname" after a divorce and an "Official Name Change?"
    A.  A Notice to Resume Prior Surname can be completed here after
         a divorce complaint is entered in our office.  This must be 
         completed in the county where the divorce action is filed.
         An Official Name Change must follow the PA Rules of Civil Procedure.
         There is no form for this.  You must research what needs to be filed
         or contact an attorney. (see Prothonotary Fees)