Mission and Values
The Mission of CCLS
The Mission of Cumberland County Library System (CCLS) is to plan, develop, coordinate and provide comprehensive public library services for residents through a cooperative network of public libraries.
CCLS supports seven member libraries and one branch facility by providing leadership and management in critical areas such as:
- computer and information technology,
- staff training and development,
- collection support,
- services for homebound older adults,
- interlibrary delivery, and
- management support.
Core Values and Beliefs
The primary focus of CCLS is to meet the cultural, educational and informational needs of library users and community residents. To that end, the Library System affirms that:
- Libraries are forums for information and ideas, enabling community residents to have the fullest access to books and other library resources;
- Free access to library materials and services is essential for community residents’ education, employment, enjoyment and self-governance;
- Parents and guardians have the responsibility and right to guide their own children’s use of the library and its resources;
- Library services must be designed to maximize the system’s available financial resources in order to meet the broadest base of community needs;
- Community residents and visitors shall be treated courteously and fairly through the development and consistent application of library services, policies and procedures.