Historic Timeline of Cumberland County
In the 1730’s, English, German and Scots-Irish immigrants settled in the area of South Central Pennsylvania known as Cumberland County, devoting their lives to farming the rich soil of the region. The Widow Piper’s Tavern, in Shippensburg, was originally used as the courthouse until the Cumberland County Courthouse was built and the county seat established in Carlisle. Named for Cumberland, England, Cumberland County was officially founded on January 27, 1750.
Today, along with our rich farmland, our county landscape is comprised of urban communities spanning 555 square miles, with more than 250,000 residents living in 33 municipalities. We are within a two hours’ drive to Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, and within a ten hours’ drive of over 50 percent of the U.S. population which has made our county a major hub for industry. The county is also home to six colleges and universities including; the U.S. Army War College, Central Pennsylvania College, Dickinson College, Messiah College, Penn State Dickinson School of Law and Shippensburg University.