The year was 1952 when a group of local farmers expressed concerns over the conservation of their soil and water resources to the Cumberland County Commissioners. On April 26 of that year, the Commissioners' declared the County a soil conservation district and on January 27, 1953, the Board of Directors for the Cumberland County Conservation District was formed.
Throughout the past 65 years, the District has worked to protect the County’s soil and water resources through various projects and initiatives. With its erosion and sediment control program, water testing, dirt and gravel roads programs, watershed program, Chesapeake Bay program and many, many others, the District continues to be a steadfast proponent and protector of the County’s soils and water.
The District not only protects these resources, but also provides many educational opportunities for area youth. Each year, the District has been fortunate to host the Envirothon, provide sponsorships for local students to attend summer conservation camps and provide scholarships for environmental or natural resources college students.
Its staff of nine oversee the entire conservation program throughout the County and work closely with the Commonwealth’s Department of Environmental Protection and the State Conservation Commission.