- Pennsylvania Department of Health
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Cumberland County Commissioners Issue Declaration of Disaster Emergency
- Cumberland County Government Offices Reopen To The Public With COVID-19 Guidance
What is COVID-19?
The 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new virus that causes respiratory illness in people and can spread from person-to-person.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
People with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms reported – ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. These symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
Use the CDC online tool to help you make decisions and seek appropriate medical care.
I Have Symptoms. Now What?
- If they’re mild: Stay home, rest, and drink fluids. Take acetaminophen to bring down your fever. If you feel worse, call your health care provider.
- If they’re severe: For severe symptoms (including a fever above 100°), call your health care provider. If you don’t have a health care provider, call 1-877-PA-HEALTH.
- If it’s an emergency: Call 911.
How does COVID-19 spread?
Human coronaviruses spread just like the flu or a cold:
- Through the air, by coughing or sneezing;
- Close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands;
- Touching an object or surface with the virus on it;
- Occasionally, fecal contamination.
How can I help protect myself?
- Cover coughs or sneezes with your elbow, do not use your hands!
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Clean surfaces frequently, including countertops, light switches, cell phones, remotes, and other frequently touched items.
- Contain if you are sick, stay home until you are feeling better.
- Wear a mask when going out in public.
COVID-19 Information For Travelers
If you have traveled, or plan to travel, to an area where there are high amounts of COVID-19 cases, it is recommended that you stay at home for 14 days upon return to Pennsylvania. If you travel to the following states, it is recommended that you quarantine for 14 days upon return:
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
For more travel information, visit the PA Department of Health Travelers Page.
How should I talk to my kids about COVID-19?
Tips for caregivers, parents, and teachers during infectious disease outbreaks from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).